Cerebral Palsy is the commonest cause of motor disability in children. March, the CP awareness month gives us the opportunity to both celebrate people living with Cerebral Palsy and also improve CP awareness in our environment. To this effect, The Straight Child Foundation hosted an Awareness Seminar to mark the 2021 CP Awareness month with Ms. Nonye Nweke, the Guest Speaker, who is also the CEO of CP Centre in Lagos.
The CP Awareness Seminar was held on March 24, 2021 from 11:30 am – 2:20 pm at the Skills Acquisition Centre (Women Development Centre), Abia State Secretariat Road, Umuahia. The event attracted 15 children and 52 adults in the audience.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE EVENT
- Recognition of dignitaries from the Abia State Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development.
- Lecture on Problems and Care of Children with CP and the Misconceptions About it by Dr. RoseAnn Chidomere- A Paediatric Neurologist at the Federal Medical Center Umuahia.
- Exposition on Managing CP and Bringing Out the Best in a Child Living with CP by Nonye Nweke. She explained CP and what it meant to manage CP, including ways to bring out the best in a child with CP from a carer’s viewpoint.
- The Parents Support Group was featured as some parents shared their children’s stories, their challenges and expectations.
- A call for volunteers was made by the Founder, Dr. Peace Amaraegbulam.
- A quick rundown of the August Boot Camp was made by Dr. (Mrs) Uchenna Oluwatosin.
The Chairman, Dr. Peace Amaraegbulam, expressed gratitude to God and to all who were in attendance and prayed for God’s blessings upon all.